My Basic Make-up Routine
1) Start with a clean, moisturized face. And wash your hands too! It’s important to minimize transfer of bacteria an oil from your hands to your face. This is also when I use primer, if I happen to be using it that day… usually I prefer Sephora’s primer in green or blue, but I’ve run out and am just using a trial size of Smashbox Photo finish, which is okay but for my skin I prefer a creamier foundation like Sephora :)
2) I use my Graftobian color correct palette, specifically the green and salmon colors. The green is great for blemishes and other red patches, while the salmon helps cover up dark circles under my eyes.
3) Next I do my foundation. I use a flat top kabuki brush from Sigma Beauty. I recently went to Sephora and tried their Pantone color matching system, and ended up with shade N117 in the MUFE foundation – finally a color light enough for my pale skin! I squirt one smallish pump onto the back of my hand and then use a finger to dab spots of it onto my face, focusing on the areas that need the most coverage. Then I use my kabuki brush to stipple and blend.
4) Here it is blended in!
5) Next up is mascara. Generally speaking I’ll just use a couple coats of Maybelline Volum’ Express, but I really need a new tube… so today I used two coats of Maybelline and then a coat of Benefit’s “They’re Real” mascara. I haven’t been super impressed with Benefit on it’s own, but used with the Maybelline it packs quite a punch. The Maybelline gives a deeper color and more thickness to my lashes, and Benefit gives more length.
6) I don’t always wear eyeliner, mainly because I need some new stuff (I’m noticing a trend here…!), but when I do I use Rimmel “Get In Line” which I purchased too long ago at Target. I also filled in my eyebrows with an angle brush using the Naked Basics palette color Naked 2.
6.1) This is also where I put on my blush… which I totally forgot to take a photo of! I use Stila custom color blush “self adjusting pink” with a medium fluffy brush. I love the color but I’ve noticed it tends to fade during the day – probably a byproduct of the “self adjusting” nature.
7) Finish off with lipstick! If I’m being totally honest I don’t normally wear lipstick like this (Urban Decay in Cat Fight) but it IS a really nice shade.
8) And here’s the look with a matte pink, Wet ‘N Wild in 901B “Think Pink”.
And there you have it! It seems sort of long and drawn one when I write it all down, but it’s actually pretty quick when I’m doing it :)